|COURSE||PREP TIME||COOK TIME||SERVES|
2 HR 30 MIN
1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 can (540 mL) Longo’s Petite Diced Tomatoes with Garlic & Olive Oil, drained
1/2 cup red wine or beef broth
1 prime rib roast (3 ribs), about 2.5 kg
1/3 cup Longo’s Basil and Sundried Tomato Pesto Sauce
1 tsp each salt and pepper
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spread onion and tomatoes over base of roasting pan. Drizzle with wine.
- Place roast over vegetables in roasting pan, bone-side-down. Brush pesto all over roast; season with salt and pepper. (Make-ahead: Cover well, refrigerate for up to 1 day.)
- Oven-sear roast for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°F. Cook, uncovered, for 2 hours and 15 minutes or until thermometer reaches 140°F for medium-rare. Remove roast to a cutting board; tent with foil for 15 minutes.
- Place roasting pan over medium heat. Whisk broth with cornstarch. Stir into pan. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Stir in parsley.
- Carve roast and serve with tomato onion gravy.